Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm in a Java programming class and the rather tedious way my professor has us turn in homework is to paste our code into a word document and then take a screenshot of the program running in terminal and paste that into a word document. Then, we e-mail the doc file to him. The problem I have, is I use a Mac, he uses Windows. Whenever I take a screenshot on OSX and paste it into Word, it shows up fine for me. I assumed it would work fine for him on Windows until I lost points on the easiest homework assignment I've had since 2nd grade. When the word file is viewed on Windows, instead of the picture, it tells me that a TIFF decompressor is needed, which is why I lost points on the assignment :mad: I obviously want to stop this from happening again. So, how can I force Word to use something other than TIFF (like GIF or JPEG) for saving images, so that Winblows can read it? Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
yg17 said:
I'm in a Java programming class and the rather tedious way my professor has us turn in homework is to paste our code into a word document and then take a screenshot of the program running in terminal and paste that into a word document. Then, we e-mail the doc file to him. The problem I have, is I use a Mac, he uses Windows. Whenever I take a screenshot on OSX and paste it into Word, it shows up fine for me. I assumed it would work fine for him on Windows until I lost points on the easiest homework assignment I've had since 2nd grade. When the word file is viewed on Windows, instead of the picture, it tells me that a TIFF decompressor is needed, which is why I lost points on the assignment :mad: I obviously want to stop this from happening again. So, how can I force Word to use something other than TIFF (like GIF or JPEG) for saving images, so that Winblows can read it? Thanks.
Look, you have to do what you have to do. Microsoft claims that TIFF is a proprietary Apple format. You need QuickTime for Windows installed for the format to display properly within a Word:win document.

The workaround is simple. Convert your TIFF to JPEG or BMP. Import your converted image into Word. Your professor will be none the wiser and you will get an "A."

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
MisterMe said:
You need QuickTime for Windows installed for the format to display properly within a Word:win document.

Although, it still rarely works, even if they do have Quicktime, so as MisterMe says, convert it to another format. :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MisterMe said:
The workaround is simple. Convert your TIFF to JPEG or BMP. Import your converted image into Word. Your professor will be none the wiser and you will get an "A."
This should work. However, handling of embedded pictures/objects in Word just plain sucks, even on the same platform and version of Office. It only gets worse if you mix and match platforms and versions. I've seen word completely "skip" a picture due to a pinter driver change on the same machine. (The pictures got lost between pages.)

Any chance you could avoid the problem altogether and submit your homework in a less risky format like PDF or HTML?

B

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
balamw said:
Any chance you could avoid the problem altogether and submit your homework in a less risky format like PDF or HTML?

B

I talked to the professor, he said PDF is fine. Hopefully those will work too

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
balamw said:

Seriously -- you could just take the MS word document and print to PDF. That would be the easiest for you and most likely to work for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.